Curtis R. Cowan
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Email: E-mail Me
About Curtis R. Cowan, P.A.
I graduated magna cum laude and earned my J.D. in 1985 from Nova Southeastern University Law School in Ft. Lauderdale, where I was Editor-In-Chief of the Nova Law Review and a recipient of the Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence, at graduation. I earned my Bachelor of Science in 1973 from Ohio State University where I was a member of the varsity swimming team.
I spent the first 17 years of my legal career as a partner in the prestigious law firm of Holland & Knight, LLP, where I became a partner. In 2006 I was inspired to start my own firm so I decided to leave Holland & Knight LLP and open my own practice, my new practice opened as the Law Office of Curtis R. Cowan, P.A., to put that big-firm experience to my clients’ best advantage. I am able to focus exclusively in marital and family law and limit my caseload to devote the proper time and attention to your legal issues.
I am a member of the Florida Bar, including the Family Law Section, the American Bar Association, including its Family Law Section, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and the Broward County Bar Association.
In my community, I have been active as an Executive Board Member of the Communities in Schools of Broward County, Inc. and I am active in Broward Lawyers Care. I have been an adjunct professor of law at the Nova Southeastern Law Center, teaching Pretrial Practice to second- and third-year law students.
Prior to attending law school, I taught high school English and coached high school swimming for eight years in Broward County. In addition, I coached the 1976 Florida State Swimming Champions and received “Swimming Coach of the Year” honors five times.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Family Law
- Child Support
- Custody & Visitation
- Marital Law
- Florida, 1985
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Nova University Center for the Study of Law, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- J.D. magna cum laude – 1985
- Honors: Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence
- Law Review: Nova Law Review, Editor-in-Chief
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- B.S. Ed. – 1973
- Honors: Member, Varsity Swimming Team
- Major: Speech Communication
- Major: English
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Pre-trial Practice, Nova Southeastern University Law Center
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Swimming Coach of the Year
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar, Family Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, Member
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, Member
- Broward County Bar Association, Member
- Communities in Schools of Broward County, Inc., Former Executive Board Member
- Broward Lawyers Care
Past Employment Positions
- Broward County School District, High School English Teacher
- Holland & Knight, LLP, Partner
- Kopelowitz Ostrow P.W., Partner