Ft. Lauderdale Divorce Decree Enforcement Lawyer

When an individual is not living up to his or her obligations under a court order, the court can take steps to enforce that order. Whether you are looking to enforce a court order or are facing an enforcement action, an experienced attorney can act as your advocate and help you through the process.

At the Law Office of Curtis R. Cowan, P.A., I represent men and women in enforcement actions throughout Broward County. I have more than 25 years of experience as a Ft. Lauderdale divorce decree enforcement attorney, and I am a Board Certified marital and family law attorney. E-mail or call my office at (954) 953-2575 to discuss enforcement actions.

Post-Decree Enforcement in Florida

Any part of a judgment can be enforced: the parenting plan, child support, alimony, and the property settlement. If the other party is not paying child support, we can seek wage garnishment or levies against bank accounts, even retirement assets.

Failure to pay court-ordered support obligations can result in civil contempt charges. A judge may put the violator in jail for willfully withholding payment, but before doing so must provide a “key to the cell.” This means that if the person has the ability to pay, he or she must be given a window of opportunity to pay the amount the court finds he/she has the ability to pay.

Failing to turn over children at the assigned time or otherwise interfering with custody rights can also result in contempt charges, and repeated violations may lead to reopening of the parenting plan. While the court cannot modify equitable distribution, if your spouse is found to have breached the agreement, a judge can award a financial judgment to you as a creditor with a payment claim.

If you cannot pay your financial support obligations, I can defend you on the contempt charges, help you seek temporary or permanent modification, and negotiate the arrears. On either side of a modification or enforcement action, you should have experienced legal representation to protect your rights.

Contact an Attorney About Child Support and Court Order Enforcement

To speak with a Fort Lauderdale lawyer about enforcing a court order after your divorce, contact the Law Office of Curtis R. Cowan, P.A. I can assist you with enforcing a court order or protect you if an enforcement action is brought against you. Schedule your reduced-rate initial consultation by calling (954) 953-2575.